Friday 4 June 2010

Roma, a city steeped in history

Having the opportunity to spend 5 days in Rome has given me a massive lesson in history.

P1030057smThe entire first day was spent in the  Colosseum and the Roman Forum with my eyes as wide as saucers. With a history dating back over 2,700 years and watching people sit on ancient relics and walk over cobbled streets that were built so long ago has been a remarkable experience for someone who lives in a country which is a mere 200 odd years young. Fallen marble columns and other relics adorn the streets of ancient Rome, and it is an eery feeling indeed as I walked with my head looking up at the massive structures, some of which took hundreds of years to build. It was all built on such a grand scale than we mere  mortals must have felt then, as I feel now...quite insignificant in the scheme of things.

Rome is a bustling city which does take some getting used to. It is filled with tourists from all over the world as can be heard from the many different languages spoken around me. Every monument and museum is filled with people. The Vatican sees 30,000 visitors through its doors each and every day!

P1030059sm In having said that however,  given the choice, I would not miss the opportunity to visit Rome again. The Italian men are also quite dashing (as you can see by the photo). Listening to the beautiful Italian language with its colourful intonation has me trying to mimic the sound at every opportunity. Thankfully, most people are pleased to hear me trying to communicate with them in their own language and style, and equally thankfully, most know a little English and the hand gestures do the rest.

Tomorrow our group of Women's Own Adventure ladies will be arriving and beginning our Cultural Taste of Southern Tuscany, out of the city, which will be a welcome change of pace for me.  I will keep you updated on our journey through Tuscany over the next 2 weeks.

- signing off from Marika, Women's Own Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment